Established 1917....still boating 2013

The formation of the Cairns Motor Boat Club began with a very enthusiastic meeting on Friday 14th Sept 1917.

It followed on after the establishment of a similar motorboat club in Townsville three months earlier. Rivalry between the two frontier towns was well developed, each vying for regional status. 'Far North' parochialism support saw over new 30 members attend the inaugral Cairns meeting.

The first elected committee was made up local personalities whose names are very familiar to us now;  Draper, Hoare, Martin, Villiers and Lyons. The club's object of association was defined and still remains today:-

               "the encouragement of motor boating generally in Cairns"
.

Cairns already had an Aquatic Club, established three years earlier. It was well supported with regular sailing events and its clubhouse had become the social hub of the waterfront. The newly formed Motor Boat Club offered alternative activities for the community and membership steadily increased despite the towns lack of younger able bodied men who had enlisted for WW1 duties overseas.

The club began on a high note with Opening Day celebrations on the 2nd Dec 1917. The Cairns Brass Band assembled on board the Commodore's boat as the colourful procession made its way down Trinity Inlet and on to Second Beach for a programme of racing and shore based events.

As the club developed, a series of calendar events evolved. Fishing tournaments, 'Allcomers' races and family picnics at remote beaches were all proving financially successful for the club. The management committee began planning a physical presence on the Cairns foreshore with its own clubhouse and boat moorings.
The first years for the Motor Boat Club were buoyant, fleet and event participants increased, however choppy waters laid ahead, the club would need plenty of stamina, tenacity and friends to survive the next 80 years.....To be continued.